Clicky

skip to navigation

1750 Smithy / Moravian Blacksmith Shop

1750 Smithy / Moravian Blacksmith Shop

Directions Call Read more

The Smithy was built in 1750 expanded in 1761 and a second floor added. The Smithy had workrooms and forges for the nail-smith, locksmith, blacksmith, tinsmith, gunsmith, and gunstock maker. The building stood until the early 20th century when it was dismantled and converted into brownstone dwellings which were later demolished. In 2004, the Smithy was reconstructed of limestone taken from a local 1700s barn being torn down, and was built on the foundations of the original smithy, thanks to detailed records kept by the Moravians and stored in the Moravian Archives Blacksmithing was one of the most important trades in Colonial America, since smiths made or repaired tools, kitchen utensils, weapons, agricultural implements, and household items.

Premier Partners

Dragon Weave Collection Advertisement Musselman – Making Bethlehem Sparkle Cube Advertisement The Coziest Celtic Destination Advertisement Omega Protective Services Advertisement

Translate

Translate the Visit Historic Bethlehem website into your language of choice!